Saturday, September 25, 2004

Why do I blog?

In this comment, Richard of The Pedantic Pundit asked me why I write if not for others to read. That got me thinking (a dangerous activity at the best of times) -- Why do I blog?

Why do you blog? Those were a few of the more interesting results Google provided. But it still doesn't answer the question for me.

I would like to think that I do this more for myself than others. That's not to say I don't want people to read what I write or that I don't want a lot of visitors (mmm... site stats...). Rather, I hope this blog is for me to express things I usually don't otherwise get to write or talk about. If others are interested, wonderful, but the primary purpose here is for me to say something. Visitors, rather than being the ultimate goal, help me gauge whether I'm saying things that others find interesting or engaging. Who's going to read something they dislike (unless it's for a school assignment)?

Of course, there are other reasons that factor in. This is a lot of fun for me and I thoroughly enjoy writing for this blog. In addition, I would be lying if I didn't say that, contrary to the previous paragraph, I am writing in hopes that others will read it. Notwithstanding that motive, I sincerely hope and believe that it is secondary. And, also as noted above, I hope I have something unique or interesting to say or bring to the table through my posts.

I don't know, the explanation, as it were, still rings somewhat hollow to me. I almost want to respond with a nonsensical answer, something along the lines of 42. Just tell people (or a person, to date) that it's an entertaining pasttime and any further reasons would be irrelevant. But is that really true?

TRUTH, n. An ingenious compound of desirability and appearance.

-- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary