- Things to do on March 3: Look up in the night sky and see a total lunar eclipse (BB).
- Evan Schaeffer (of LU) linked to a fantastic Time Magazine article: Behind the Sunni-Shi'ite Divide. He also linked to a PC Magazine article: The Best Free Software.
- There's a fire sale over at ThinkGeek for Penny Arcade merchandise.
- What did you do this weekend? (Indexed)
- Scott Adams opines on a Happiness Formula.
- After the ATHF Boston incident, it's getting a bit ridiculous. Police blow up profanity-spewing CD players found in church (BB).
- Links to add: Blessing of Kings, Warren Ellis, Red vs. Blue, Song Meanings.net, Wellington Grey – Amusing Charts & Stuff, Marketing Blog List (gapingvoid).
- Misc. Things: 419 scammers tricked into re-creating Dead Parrot Sketch (BB); New Barenaked Ladies video starring YouTube celebs (BB); Thin-sliced post-grandfather clock (BB); Science and faith: two flowcharts (BB); 101 ways to beat drawer's block (BB); Blog with "nothing but pictures of cute girls at tea" (BB).
"Sneakier than an imaginary ninja on a stealth fighter!" -- Diesel Sweeties (2/21/07)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Overheards: (I may have gone a little overboard this week.)
Philosophy student: Basically, all I really want is to survive until I die.Two:
Receptionist: Can I help you this morning?Three:
Mom: Yes. I need a shot to keep my daughter from being a complete bitch.
Teen girl: Like they've invented that, Mom.
Lady: You think wearing the skin of a dead cow is cool or something? You're promoting murder by wearing that.Four:
Leather jacket guy: I don't wear this because I like leather. I wear this because I hate cows. My father was gored to death by a bull. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to Burger King.
Customer with CD: Don't make fun of the Transformers.Five:
Bookseller: I'm not making fun. I had that soundtrack. I lost it in the hurricane.
Customer with CD: Well, you can't have mine.
Bookseller: I have The Matrix.
Customer with CD: I have the touch.
Passing customer: And I have the power!
Dude #1: I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.Six:
Dude #2: Ummm... Hmmm.
Columbia student: Do you go to NYU?Seven:
NYU student: Yes, how did you know?
Columbia student: I could tell by your dirty shoes. NYU gets their students from the homeless shelter.
NYU student: Excuse me?
Columbia student: I'm your biggest enemy.
NYU student: What?
Columbia student: I go to Columbia.
NYU student: Can you leave me alone?
Girl: Oh my god! That guy over there across the street -- I went out with him last Saturday! We made plans for this weekend, and when I asked him what was up he told me he had to go home to Long Island 'cause his grandmother was sick.Eight:
Guy friend: The one with his arm around that girl? Clearly, he was lying.
Girl: No shit. C'mon, let's cross the street.
[They cross the street.]
Girl: Oh my god! Alex*! Wow, this is funny.
Alex: Oh... Jenny*... Hi... What are you doing here?
[Introductions are made all around.]
Jenny: So, how's your grandmother? I take it you saw her this weekend?
Girl with Alex: Yeah, Alex, how is your grandmother? You saw her two weekends in a row? You are quite the devoted grandson.
Jenny's guy friend: Dude, you are so fucked.
Little boy: Oprah, save me!Nine:
Hot Asian chick: I want to go, but do we have enough David Hasselhoff shirts to last us the whole weekend?
Guy chatting up girl: Yeah, this is a real celebrity hangout. There are probably famous people in here right now, we just don't know who they are.
Guy on cell: 28 Days was just stupid. Zombies aren't like that. Dawn of the Dead is the most realistic portrayal of zombies I've ever seen!Ten:
Chick to hipsters: I did my first autopsy to The Wizard of Oz.
Crazy lady: Don't touch my coat! I don't know where your hands have been!
Passenger: I was fixing something.
Crazy lady: Well, don't fix anything! I don't know you! And get your fucking hand out of my face!
Passenger: My hand wasn't in your face.
Crazy lady: I wasn't talking to you! I was talking to myself! Stop stalking me or I'll cut you right on this train!
This Week in Miscelleny I
This Week in Miscellany II
This Week in Miscellany III
This Week in Miscellany IV
This Week in Miscellany V
This Week in Miscelleny VI (there is no VI)
This Week in Miscellany VII
This Week in Miscellany VIII
This Week in Miscellany IX