- Cheap, Safe, Patentless Cancer Drug Discovered (/.) "DCA can cause pain, numbness and gait disturbances in some patients, but this may be a price worth paying if it turns out to be effective against all cancers. The next step is to run clinical trials of DCA in people with cancer. These may have to be funded by charities, universities and governments: pharmaceutical companies are unlikely to pay because they can't make money on unpatented medicines. The pay-off is that if DCA does work, it will be easy to manufacture and dirt cheap." (New Scientist)
- Seth Godin's post on Really Bad Powerpoint reminded me of Guy Kawasaki's post on The 10/20/30 Rule of PowerPoint.
- This BB post linked to the 7 Deadly Sins and their Combinations over at indexed.
- Misc. Stories: Turner Broadcasting Pays $2m Over Boston Bomb Scare (Gizmodo); Help save Pandemonium, Boston's sf bookstore! (BB) (Pandemonium Books).
- Misc. Links: Stephen Colbert's Ice Cream Flavor (Americone Dream) from Ben and Jerry's (BB) (Source); Mind Grenades: Manifestoes from the Future (Book) (Mad Professor); The New Way Things Work by David Macauley (Book) (Mad Professor); How to Cheat at Everything by Simon Lovell (Book) (BB); Getting/Staying Organized: my Moleskine PDA (Creating Passionate Users) (Two other good CPU posts); Blue Origin (Amazon's space flight program).
- Gratuitous Not-Quote-WoW Link: The World of Whorecraft (BB, SFW) (NSFW link)
"If everybody liked us, we would be rich." -- Elvis Duran, The Z-100 Morning Zoo (1/30/07)
"Our love is like a honey-baked ham: pink, salty and unclean in the eyes of the lord." -- Diesel Sweeties Valentine e-Cards 2.0
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal." -- Dilbert (2/08/07)
"The trick to staying in a relationship is digging yourself into the shallowest graves possible." -- Diesel Sweeties (2/08/07)
"Overlords are not required to come up with business plans!" -- User Friendly (2/09/07)
Male flight attendant: Okay, folks, one last time -- please turn your cell phones off. If the person next to you is talking on their phone, smack 'em! That should teach them.
This Week in Miscelleny I
This Week in Miscellany II
This Week in Miscellany III
This Week in Miscellany IV
This Week in Miscellany V
This Week in Miscelleny VI (there is no VI)
This Week in Miscellany VII