Thursday, November 09, 2006

Oddities

From around the globe!!!

Last night I spoke with Capt. Kate again. I related to her the non-happenings between me and a.f.girl and she in turn will work on setting up blind date no. 2. (Until I learn more about the subject, she gets no moniker.) So sometime in the next week or two I will likely have a second blind date story to share.

Fyi, blind date no. 1 with a.f.girl was my... third first date in the past... six years or so? Granted, that's a 50% increase in the past month with blind date no. 2 being a total 100% increase in the previous month. Those are horrible averages. If things don't work out, I will make further attempts to obliterate them.

One of my goals in that regard is to not spend New Year's Eve alone. If that doesn't pan out, another goal is to not spend Valentine's Day alone. I think I've remarked elsewhere that I have yet to spend either of those holidays with a girlfriend. (Longest relationship I was in was in college and lasted from March to October.)

But enough about that! Randomnosity ahoy! (Yes, that's a word of my own creation. No, I am not terribly proud of it.)


~//~//~//~

Ever look at the lyrics to Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska"? I've listened to his album Nebraska, on and off, for the past decade or more. Only recently did I stop humming along to the song and really pay attention to the lyrics. Man, is that a messed up song! Check out the lyrics, if you like. I guess I've always known the song was weird, but I never really put it together until this year.


~//~//~//~

Every "normal" day I eat lunch at the cafeteria downstairs with a coworker friend. He and I talk about this, that and the other, rarely anything work-related per se. Today? I brought up Schrödinger's Cat and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Hey, check these out:
A "Schrödinger's Date" is a meeting between two people that may or may not be a date, and whose status cannot be determined. Only the odds of it being one or the other can be estimated.

Cartoon: You see a picture of a refrigerator with a post-it-note saying "I'm out of town for a few days. Please be so nice and feed my cat. Thanks. Schrödinger".

The theory of Schrödinger's cat has been extended in colloquial humour. The contents of the box are undetermined to such an extent that the cat is neither alive nor dead nor definitely a cat. It could in fact be a badger.

The average cat has nine lives. Shrödinger's cats only had 4.5.

Schrödinger's Cat is NOT dead. (UF)
From this Wikipedia page.

Is it sad that I found those to be hilarious?

Awww, it looks like that last one might not work. (See this - it works, just in certain browsers.)

Mush!