Monday, August 30, 2004

Avast, Ye Criminals!!!

Most of the posts on this blog have been fairly neutral. I've written relatively little about myself. Part of that has been the fact that it was summertime and relatively little was going on. (You really want to hear about my latest trip to the pub? Unless it involves some surprise ending or involves other interesting people, probably not.)

Well, you're in luck! Today is the first day of classes at UConn Law and I am blogging to you live (as it were) from the first class of Criminal Procedure. Exciting, isn't it??? In Crim Pro we're going to learn all sorts of wonderful things about.. errr.. criminal procedure. We'll primarily concentrate on the 4th, 5th and 6th amendments, or so I am assured. Today we're talking about police as community caretakers. It's about as thrilling as it sounds, believe it or not. But since I think I might be tangentially interested in this class, I'm staying awake and paying attention.. somewhat.

Here are the courses I'm taking this semester:
  • Criminal Procedure
  • Antitrust
  • Business Organizations
  • Forensics
I'm most excited about the Forensics class. In the past, students in that seminar have gotten 1-2 guest lectures by Henry Lee, famed forensics expert of the O.J. Simpson trial. Even if we don't get the guest lectures, I'm pretty sure we get to visit the CT Forensics Lab. And even if not, I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the course regardless.

I also have that SRP (Special Research Project) Paper to finish (ugh!) and I plan on sitting for the Patent Bar again (I missed passing on my first attempt by only 9 points). Beyond those, there's the Texas Lonestar Mock Trial Competition (in San Antonio), my involvement in the Student Bar Association (SBA - I'm a class representative), activities with the Student Trial Lawyers Association (STLA - I was Pres. last year), activities with the Jewish Law Student Assoc. (JLSA - I was Treas. last year), activities with Phi Alpha Delta (PAD - I was Treas. last year), activities with the Intellectual Property and Technology Law Society (IPTLS - I was Sec. last year), the online IP Newsletter we're trying to get going, and the web site policy I'm drafting with another student. I also plan on attending State of Play 2 at the New York Law School on Oct. 28-30. (I'll link it later with some more explanation.)

That sounds like a lot but.. ummm... I guess it is or can be. Thankfully most of those things, at least the activity ones, require little attention or discrete amounts of attention for short periods of time. Like the Symposium on Drug Importation (IPTLS) that we're doing with the CT Journal of International Law (CJIL, not CILJ which is the CT Insurance Law Journal). Anyways, I find a way to balance it I suppose. Certainly keeps me busy or at least on my toes.

Since classes are beginning, you can probably expect more intermittent blogging and some posts on classes. Also there will be some posts on activities and happenings with my friends, since those will kick in as well shortly. Hopefully you will find some of this interesting. Maybe even more interesting than my usual posts which often merely cite to other posts on other blogs. We'll see what happens. As always, if you have any suggestions, comments, queries, clean jokes or dirty limericks, please feel free to e-mail me.

I think that's all I have for now. Time to either pay closer attention or surf around to my daily sites and blogs!