Saturday, January 15, 2005

A USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

It's so nice when new computer equipment installs and runs as it is "supposed" to.

A week ago I visited Best Buy, 10% off coupons firmly in hand. One was used purchasing a 160 GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. I've been meaning to procure one for a while now to back up my desktop machine. (Its CD-RW Drive hasn't worked in a LONG time. Pretty much since I installed Windows XP on it over a year ago. Fortunately the DVD Rom Drive works just fine.) Yesterday I stopped by Best Buy again and purchased a USB 2.0 Card (since my desktop only has USB 1.0 on it -- USB 2.0 is 40x faster than USB 1.0).

Last night I installed the card and connected the hard drive. Hot damn if the computer didn't sense everything and have it up and working within minutes. MINUTES!!! Truly amazing. To think that computers have evolved to the point where they actually work as they are supposed to.

For the record, I know I'm just asking for some wonderfully cosmic irony to be lobbed in my direction now that I've lauded the ease of installation and functionality of my new toys. However, I already backed up the desktop to the hard drive so I'm moderately confident and a bit more secure about the desktop. I don't want it to crash but if it does it's not the end of the world. (Perhaps a more suitable response would be to say: "Please don't crash? I'd like to play more World of Warcraft.")