Thursday, January 13, 2005

New Year's Resolution (Plus)

I know it's a little late for this but I figure I'll give it a shot. Usually I don't bother with New Year's resolutions, partly because I don't like to promise things, even if only to myself, and not do them. Partly because I rarely have something so pressing to be done that I haven't already otherwise considered acting on it.

During breakfast this morning, I had a thought. The cleanliness or organization of my apartment appears to run in cycles, going from "actually clean" to "slightly disorganized" to "piles here and there" to "messy" to "downright very messy" to "refuse to invite other friends over any more" to "man, I really need to clean this place up" to "man, I really need to clean up this Hell-hole." (By the way, the point-of-no-mother-entry occurs between "piles here and there" and "messy.") At the moment, its current state is hovering around "man, I really need to clean this place up" with dips into the lower zone. In other words, it's time to do something.

My New Year's Resolution is to keep my apartment clean and presentable. (Of course this coincidentally entails cleaning up the damn thing in the first place, something I am not looking forward to and-obviously-have been putting off for quite some time.)

As an aside, this year looks to be particularly interesting, more so than the previous two. Find a job. Sit for the Patent Bar (again). Finish/write the SRP. Classes. Possibly a Spring vacation. Class exams. Law school graduation. The Bar Exams (planning on CT and NY). A vacation of some sort. Work begins in earnest. At least two weddings to attend in the Fall (and I'll probably need to find a date/dates for those).

Looking at that list, it's 2 weeks into the year and I haven't even begun to work on anything yet. Not good. I need to get my ass in gear pronto. Actually, I'm not sure if I want to put my ass anywhere in close proximity to any gears or other mechanical components. Wonder where that idiom came from. Maybe it's just time to get a move on.

As Tom Petty so elegantly put it:
It's time to move on, time to get going
What lies ahead I have no way of knowing
But under my feet, baby, grass is growing
It's time to move on, it' s time to get going.
So it is armed with this "new" goal for the year that I confidently step forward into another Season of Mists.