Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Monday in Time Lapse

(N.B. Long post ahead. You have been suitably warned.)

Last night's sleep was very restless. This morning's work is very slow. I feel somewhat itchy and warm. I hope the A/C is working correctly though I fear it isn't. Part of me honestly can't believe that I have two dates within a few days of each other. In fact, The Lawyer originally wanted to meet up on Sunday night for dinner. I begged off saying that this weekend wasn't good for me. In actuality, I didn't want to have two dates in one day. I know that I wouldn't have concentrated as much on the first, knowing that the second was coming. Plus I would have felt some pressure of a timetable. Better to separate them. Even so, this whole thing is blowing my mind. Even though I haven't spoken with her yet, I get the sense that The Doctor would meet up with me for a second date. I'm not use to non-rejection. The invention I'm working on now is staggeringly ugh and my mind is mildly numb today. I'm not use to having a life or a "busy" schedule.

[time lapse]

I just remembered – I wanted to note that on Saturday, while I was driving up to Hartford to meet up with movie.girl, I was completely content. I was driving to meet up with a good friend and hang out. I had a date scheduled for the following day (The Doctor). I had another date scheduled for Tuesday night (The Lawyer). I had played tennis that morning and kicked much ass (and taken many names and chewed much bubblegum). At that place, at that moment, I was happy.

That's not to say I'm unhappy per se now, just that it was a moment of complete contentment.

Incidentally, I just spoke with a coworker. We're going to catch a movie on Wednesday night, either 1408 or Evan Almighty.

[time lapse]

Via Wikipedia, I learn that Sixpence None The Richer broke up back in 2004 and that the lead singer, Leigh Nash, released a solo album, Blue On Blue, in Fall 2006.

[time lapse]

This morning, I was listening to "Lakini's Juice" by Live. Need to remember to add some of those song lyrics to the quotes page and/or subtitle:

It was an evening I shared with the sun
To find out where we belong
From the earliest days
We were dancing in the shadows

[time lapse]

Someone's car alarm is going off outside. I hope the thief disables the alarm soon. It's pretty annoying.

[time lapse]

I bet The Doctor would want to go see the new Michael Moore movie. I don't particularly care, but I would gladly see it if she wanted to. Hell, I would recommend the idea because of that. Must remember. (I'm going to call The Doctor tonight and try to set up a second date.)

Incidentally, does a coffee meeting count as a "first date"? (I'm thinking yes.)

[time lapse]

Oh. That's interesting. A coworker-friend gave his two weeks notice on Friday. He's going to work in-house for Sikorsky (down the street, literally) doing a variety of IP-related things including government licensing. Said he's been doing patent prosecution for 10 years and has had enough.

Wow. Que interesante.

And just last Wednesday, I was joking about who would be the next person to leave the firm.

[time lapse]

Someone's daughter is helping sort files or box them or some such. Whenever I see someone like that, my reaction is two-fold. First, inevitably, is the thought "ooh, she's cute" rapidly followed by "hands off like plutonium." I figure the first isn't too horrible given the second.

Incidentally, the "hands off like plutonium" is from a Bloom County comic where Steve Dalls takes someone's daughter to her prom. The statement is emphasized with a fist waved in his general direction.

Also incidentally, a long time ago I received the best compliment I could ever get. I was working as staff at a Cub Scout Day Camp at the time, and at the end of one week a mother (also on staff) told me that she was going to give me the best compliment she could – something along the lines of if her daughter were older, she (the mother) would want her daughter dating someone like me.

[time lapse]

It's warm in my office. They turn off the A/C over the weekend. I'm learning that it takes a good day (until Tuesday) to cool off the individual offices. I estimate my office temperature to be around 72-74 deg. Fahrenheit.

A system thermometer in a coworker's office is showing 80. Yowch.

[time lapse]

Effing car alarm. Again.

[time lapse]

Effing car alarm. AGAIN.

[time lapse]

How to spell "omitted." Ah hah. Microsoft Word says I have it spelled correctly. Go me.

[time lapse]

Ooh, haven't been updating this as much in the afternoon as in the morning. Guess I've been busy.

[time lapse]

Posted a day late as our server was going down for maintenance.