Tuesday, June 05, 2007

In Which I Opine On A Variety Of Topics

We (my mom and I) have 2 Bichons (Bichon Frise). When asked to describe them I say that they are "small, white fluffy things with teeth." They are adorable when clean, which lasts anywhere from 1 hour to 6 days after grooming. They are white, though some have orange-ish patches of fur (I forget the "official" name for the coloring). Their cuteness is a defense mechanism. DO NOT BE FOOLED. With both of ours, it took 1-2 years for them to become nice dogs. During the first 1-2 years, each dog was a terror. I hear there is a Bichon rescue league. Why anyone would want to rescue these animals is beyond me.

Warren Ellis is an angry bastard. I think he takes some measure of joy in such descriptions of himself. He is also an incredibly talented writer. To date, as far as I know, most (all?) of his work has been in the comic book realm. He has a book, Crooked Little Vein, coming out this Summer. You should buy it, read it, then give Mr. Ellis more of your money. He may be a right bastard, but he is a talented bastard.

Today was showtunes day for me. I listened to the Evil Dead Soundtrack, Sunset Boulevard (1993 Patti LuPone version) and Evita (Madonna version). At the end of the day, I thought to myself that I should pick up a copy of Pirates of Penzance. I may have Oklahoma (Hugh Jackson version) lying around somewhere. The only other musical I can think of, that I've heard and vaguely remember, is Carousel.

My car stereo works fantastically. I can listen to my iPod while driving without losing my temper. In fact, this may be beyond fantastic.

I'm writing this post because I don't want to go to sleep yet (only 9:29 PM) but I also don't want to get into playing a computer game now (too late, too little time, sleepy).

I'm contemplating a year-long creative project. I don't want to go into detail, not yet, not here, but I think I may try it. I've figured out that, while I think I may be artistic in some respects, I am not an artist. I can't draw for shit. [Ed: Though why anyone would want to draw "for shit" is beyond me.] However, I love comic books and graphic novels and I would absolutely love to get "into the business," so to speak.

Generally, I'm not very happy with my current employment. It's good, steady money, but I don't enjoy it. Plus, my current job is about as good as it gets. I could move up the ladder or work on trying to make partner, but it's just not something I want to be doing. Hell, I'd be happier in comic book retail (although significantly poorer, I suspect). I don't know what I'm going to do about this, or when, but some day I will have to do something. I just have to.

Thus far, internet dating has failed to pan out for me. I have yet to even go on one date. Granted, I need to be more proactive and invest time searching on services. Well, I guess that really means that eHarmony has not worked for me thus far. *shrug*

I suspect I need a more go-and-get-'em attitude. In general, I mean, not just online dating. I often feel like a man without a purpose. I have no specific overall goals right now. Any goals are short-term ones, like "pay bills." I need a direction. Sometimes I feel like I may be waiting for something. For what, I don't know. But it's mildly frustrating, not the least because I recognize it and still fail to act. I'm frustrated with myself and, by extension, the world at large. I feel like I should be doing something else, I should be somewhere else. Somewhere that's not on my schedule.

Tired. Time to clean the floor (dog had an "accident") and go to bed. I'm rereading House of M these nights. I have new things to read but I like rereading previous ones. Hell, I have the Witchblade Compendium untouched (picked it up on sale and with a coupon). Ah well.

I contemplated putting together a recommended reading list here for favorite or all graphic novels of mine. I have tons of them. It's mildly obscene and getting worse on a regular basis. But I definitely have favorites and strong recommendations. Maybe I'll work on the list sometime.

Peace out.

ADDENDUM: I think the "official" name is apricot. [9:41 PM]

ADDENDUM II: I reread all my posts after they're posted. I'm an editor through-and-through. I'm also rather particular and occasionally detail-oriented. It's too bad this aspect didn't help me or come into play during law school. [9:44 PM]