Monday, March 19, 2007

Five Movie Reviews In Short

I just finished watching Secretary, which makes 4 movies (DVDs) in the past 24 hours. I might as well hit 300 while I'm here. Brief reviews in order.

300 (link): Frank Miller's work given breath and force. The story itself is engaging, but the actors, scenes and directing make this a must-see. There's quite a bit of blood & gore, but what else can you expect when 300 Spartans fight a massive army? My favorites are the stylized fight scenes. It's an inspiring movie, filled with rhetoric and hyperbole. If you buy into it for half a minute, you will be in awe. Go see this if you haven't already. I saw it twice within the first week. It is worth it.

Man With The Screaming Brain (link): Vintage Bruce Campbell. It's stupid and pointless at times with a paper-thin plot and no small amount of overacting yet I love it. I'm a fan of all things Bruce Campbell and this, for better or worse, is classic. It's not good. In fact, it's so bad it's almost too bad. But if it were actually good, it wouldn't be what it is and Bruce Campbell wouldn't be who he is. Classic, silly semi-horror. Watch at your own risk.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (link): The reason you would watch this is because you're a FFVII fan. It's excellent animation with a decent storyline regardless, but you won't get it unless you're a fan, plain & simple. I'm a fan of FFVII. I've watched someone else play through it once and I've completed it myself, putting over 90 hours into it. FFVII was a masterpiece of its time. This movie is a fantastic legacy for a wonderful game.

Mirrormask (link): This one was a true delight! The story and characters are pure Gaiman while the art and style are clearly McKean. Take those, add in some fantastic sets, actors and puppetry and one is left with a masterpiece of imagination. I find all of Neil Gaiman's works to have a definite soul, a life of their own as it were. This movie is no different. It wasn't a box office smash. It will never be a Top 10 rental at Blockbuster. It will be an underground smash that those who have seen it will cherish. It's something to show your children. It's something to watch on a rainy day when your imagination needs a small kick in the pants. It will make you want to be a kid again. It is pure imagination given form. I don't think I can give it a better recommendation.

Secretary (link): Wow. This one is dark and mildly disturbing at times while still sexy and sharp. Maggie Gyllenhaal is amazing, as is James Spader. It's a truly provoking movie. I enjoyed it, you may not. But if you like a good, unconventional movie, this one is damn fine.