Wednesday, March 23, 2005

New Car Dreams

I came across this at CNN: New Shelby Mustang Unveiled.

[/drool]

I don't know what it is with me and cars. I'm not a big guy's guy. I'm not a big fan of football, I'll grudgingly watch baseball (and root for the Yankees over the Red Sox, though I was originally a Mets fan as a kid), and the Rocky movies just don't enthrall me as, apparently, they should.

However, you can throw all of that out the window when it comes to cars. I like cars. I like shiny cars. I like shiny, fast cars. Shiny, fast, slick, curvy, low-to-the-ground, pedal-to-the-metal, I-wish-I-had-enough-money-to-afford-them cars. Things like Corvettes and Porches are nice (okay, very nice) but I truly lust after the more expensive ones. I'm talking an NSX or Ferrari (preferably F-150 though I'll take any of their non-4-doors) or Shelby or... And I honestly don't even know all that much about them. What little I know I gleaned from playing Gran Turismo 2 on the Playstation in college. (Thank you roommates!) Other than that, all I know is that I want one. Badly.

So one of my post-law-school plans (read: dreams) is to get a new car. A new, sporty car. As it stands, I'm currently driving a 1998 Buick Park Avenue hand-me-down from my grandfather. It's a great car but, well, not quite what I dream of driving. So I'd like to get something moderately reasonable and sporty. Like a Mustang. Or a Camaro (even though they stopped production in 2001 or thereabouts).

However, I now have a new (reasonable) dream car. I want one of the new Ford Shelby Cobra GT500s when they come out.

Seriously, I'm having trouble containing my drool (and my excitement).

And if anyone out there wants to help me bankroll this muthah, now's the time! My birthday is coming up in 3 weeks. What better gift is there than a contribution to the "Alan's Sports Car Fund?" (NONE! THE CORRECT ANSWER IS NONE!!!)