Friday, April 29, 2005

"Six pints of bitter," said Ford Prefect... "And quickly please, the world's about to end."

REJOICE! THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY MOVIE COMES OUT TODAY!

[Singing of 'Hallelujah.' Angels part the clouds hanging overhead and look down in supreme wonderment and amusement.]

Seriously, I've been waiting for this movie for over a decade. I first learned of THHGTTG (or H2G2) in old AOL Bingo Parlors. When '42' showed up, everyone typed it in. It was a tribute to the 5-book trilogy and its author, the inimitable, and unfortunately late, Douglas (Noel) Adams. I first received the book about a month or so after my 13th birthday when I was given it as a present for having reached the rank of Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts. Little did I know at the time that the series would have such a far-reaching effect on me. Even to this day, Douglas Adams remains one of my favorite authors and THHGTTG as one of my favorite books/series. I've read all 5 books at least 5 times and it gets better every single time.

I am quite excited for the movie and *will* see it this afternoon.

Now the counterpoint. I am going to see it this afternoon, not by myself but with another person or two or three. And who might these people be? Let's start with The Ex (the one from 1 year ago, a law student) and throw in a sometimes-friend into the mix. I anticipate that today's dynamics, amongst us, will be incredibly bizarre and not a little odd or strange. So I'm happy to see the movie and a little bit scared for the people with whom I shall see the movie. The one way the dynamics could be improved, only slightly that is, is if the friend, Monty, brings her 'new' boyfriend along too. Might throw things on an even keel. But then it might resemble a double-date and good lord that ain't right. ::sigh::

And if any of the people speak during the movie, I will kill them. Succinctly and without much noise. Talking during this movie is or will be sacreligious and punishable by instant, red-hot (quiet) death. No questions asked, no exceptions allowed. You have been warned.

Oh yeah, in other news, I'm going to see this movie AGAIN tomorrow afternoon with The Girl. Que interesante. At least that viewing will definitely be easygoing and light. Fun.

So, in summary.. GO SEE THE HITCHHIKER'S MOVIE. NOW. (GO!!!!!!) And I may see you at subsequent screenings of it. I am positive that I shall see this movie no less than 3 times in the theater, possibly more. IT'S HITCHHIKER'S!!!

[Cheering, jumping around, bouncing on the couch.]