Thursday, April 28, 2005

An Accident

Today was my last day of law school classes. However, that's not what this post is about.

For dinner today, a friend & I went to Braza for their special - ribs & a beer for $7. This post is not about that either.

After dinner, I walked back to my apt. As I approached the Farmington Ave. / Sherman St. intersection, I saw that traffic was at a standstill. Looking to the right, towards the Northwest corner, I saw a few people gathered, a car stopped and a police car in the right lane (near the curb) with its lights flashing. Apparently a car hit some guy, as he was crossing the street I imagine. The "guy" in question was around my age and laying prone, on his stomach, near the curb. As I passed on the opposite side of the street, I heard sirens approaching. An ambulance arrived and subsequently a fire truck as well. The fire truck audaciously stopped, lights flashing, in the middle of the intersection, blocking all traffic from moving anywhere. As for me, I carefully crossed Farmington Ave. and returned to my apt.

I'm not sure precisely why I relate this to you. Be careful crossing the street? Look both ways? Where clean underwear when you go out? Connecticut city drivers are maniacs? Farmington Ave. is at a standstill right now? I hope the person who was injured is okay? I saw this on my walk back and it serves as an interesting and mildly notable observance? All of these are "reasons" though I can't put my finger on the exact one that incited this post.

In the end, the accident serves as an interesting counterpoint to something. I'm not sure what but I know it's a counterpoint. Maybe to life, the universe and everything. Any ideas?