Friday, April 15, 2005

A Day of Days

Today should be a rather interesting, if not fun, day.

It's my last full day of work. I'm going in once more next week but that's for the monthly lunch presentation and I don't get paid for that. (Sucker that I am...)

It's Income Tax Day.

It was Easter Sunday in 1979. (The import of this shall be apparent shortly.)

Tonight is the second and final of my law school's semi-annual semi-formals. The Spring Fling! I rather enjoy these things and I'm looking forward to this one.

Best of all, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me! (Etc.)

Before the Spring Fling, I'm going out to dinner with a bunch of friends. Then most of us are proceeding on to the Spring Fling. I sort of coopted most of said friends that are going into going. (I was offered the option of a normal party but I want to go to the Spring Fling. Hence, they shall suffer drunkenly if not cheerfully.) Tonight should be one protracted alcohol-laden affair. There's really not much more you can ask for. If I can (if I have sufficient wits about me and remember), I'll put up a drunken post when I return from the soiree.

Off to work I go! The work part won't be fun today. But the dinner, drinking and dancing that follows it.. well, that will be a good time.

Cheers!

ADDENDUM: Check out Google's main page for a new Google Holiday Logo celebrating Leonardo da Vinci's birthday (1452).

Other famous people sharing my birthday (source) include: Leonhard Euler (1707, Mathematician), Henry James (1843, Author), and Jeffrey Archer (1940, Author &c.). Happy Birthday to them!

Famous people who died on my birthday (source) include: Abraham Lincoln (1865), John Singer Sargent (1925), Jean-Paul Sartre (1980), and Greta Garbo (1990).

Here is Horoscope.com's take on today. Apparently Emma Thompson and Emma Watson also share my birthday. I like Today's Motivational Quote: "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -- Abraham Lincoln." I find it terribly ironic that they chose a Lincoln quote for the birthdays of the day on which he died (though I suppose "killed" is slightly more accurate).

I think my Onion Horoscope is infinitely more amusing, however. I'd also like to note that it's nice to see that The Onion is as irreverent as ever. (Note the Pope-related stories in their April 13, 2005 issue, Vol. 41 Issue 15.)

That issue of The Onion also has advice on Preparing a Living Will. It's an excellent piece! I have to quote one of their nuggets of wisdom:
If, in the event of a catastrophic brain injury, you wish to be taken off life support and kept out of the guardianship of your overprotective Catholic parents, underline those directives over and over with a thick red pen and then highlight them in bright yellow.
Think Schiavo and thank The Onion.

Enough additional musings for now. I would have put all or some of this in separate, additional posts only I want my birthday post to stay at the top of the page until at least late tonight when I hope to supplant its position with a drunken post. (That is, a post while drunk not a drunk post itself since we all know those posts are light-weights.) Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit gamey right now. But it's my birthday so deal! [11:43 AM]