- Seth Godin has an interesting post on becoming "the". He's dead on, though I don't think I'm ready quite yet to refer to myself as "the" former UConn law student-turned-patent agent.
- Scoble linked to a post that clues you in on how to really mess with someone who got HDTV. I will definitely keep this in mind!
- From this Boing Boing post I learned of these plush Cthulu toys which include an expensive plush Necronomicon, a plush Cthulu and other plush nefarious beings (my favorite is the Night Gaunt).
- Based on recommendations by people I don't know but trust, I should read "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson (Boing Boing link) and "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin (Ctrl+Alt+Del link), especially as there are upcoming projects (series) for both of them.
- A real life samurai superhero!!!
- A Supervillain Test to determine what supervillain you correspond to/are/whatever. Apparently I am Apocalypse, with Magneto (60%), Dr. Doom (58%) and Mr. Freeze (55%) as runner-ups. "You believe in survival of the fittest and you believe that you are the fittest." Works for me.
- A few story links: a cassette tape ripper (BB), one big problem with Vista (BB), Science Fiction Art of 2006 and a real-life version of the Minority Report touch interface.
- A few site links: I/P Updates, Daily Dose of IP, Action Figure Times, ComicVine.com, Daydream/Project Wonderful, Entertainment Earth, Engadget and Gizmodo.
"You can't overestimate the value of low standards." -- Scott Adams
"We've 'tried everything,' by which we mean we've tried a few things that everybody else has done as long as they didn't involve doing anything differently from what we normally do." -- Scott (via Seth Godin)
Flight attendant: ... We don't expect a change in cabin pressure, but if it does occur, a designer oxygen mask will be released in front of you. Secure the mask on yourself first, then, if you are traveling with children, put a mask on the child with the most potential, then put a mask on the other one...Two:
Mother passenger: [Gasps, horrified.]
Flight attendant: ... This is a non-smoking flight, but if you do decide to smoke, we will have you reseated on the wing of the plane where you can watch our feature presentation of Bye Bye Birdie or Gone with the Wind...
Designer: You shot the Rubik's Cube contest?
Photographer: Yeah. It was like watching fat, naked men greased up in butter sumo wrestling. You don't want to watch, but you can't look away.
Designer: ... You know, most people use the metaphor, 'It was like watching a train wreck,' but you took it to a really dark place.
This Week in Miscelleny I
This Week in Miscellany II
This Week in Miscellany III
This Week in Miscellany IV