Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Random E-mail From a Random Stranger

I received a random e-mail from a random stranger who happened to find my blog. Here is the e-mail reply I sent, in its entirety, unedited (except for removing the person's name):
Hello [E-mailer]!

I think I've gotten maybe 1 or 2 other random e-mails from strangers due to my blog. It's a rare occurrence but one I relish. Thank you for your e-mail. In some small way, and admittedly it's a little sad and a little narcissistic (but aren't all blogs to some degree?), I feel like such e-mails more-or-less validate my blog and what I try to do with it. That is, they are the proof that my writing inspired a reaction, some reaction, any reaction in another random perosn.

A little deep, but it goes with the "thank you" so too bad.

I would say don't feel as though you must finish American Gods. Neil Gaiman happens to be one author whose writing I have thoroughly enjoyed, over and over again in a variety of media, settings and context. If it doesn't do it for you, *shrug*. And honestly, I didn't find American Gods to be funny per se, just a well-written story involving mythology, journey and self-discovery that struck a chord with me.

Thus far, I have had zero luck with eHarmony. The women I was in contact with haven't responded. Others don't respond. I'm not sure whether they don't sign in or whether they don't wish to communicate further with me. I'm also dubious that paying for 6 months was a good move. (If you do decide to try any online dating service, I recommend signing up for only 3 months the first time. It's the best time-value-cost option, in my opinion.)

I'm a little creeped by the online dating but I feel as though my options are severely limited. So I play the hand I have chosen to play and I do what I can. It's pretty much how I stumble through the years though I can't say as to whether or not it is successful. (But then how do you measure success anyways? Etc.)

Nonsequitor - Actually, for Neil Gaiman I recommend his Sandman graphic novels. Preludes & Nocturnes is the first one. If you're okay with the comic book aspect, they are amazing. Bar none, some of the best writing and stories I have ever had the privilege to read. American Gods is great, but Sandman is incredible.

Yesterday, I spoke with a good friend (The Actuary) about my blog and it not being private. His comment was that "weird is okay." Employers and such don't care about weird. They care about if you can do the job and do it well. As long as I don't blog on company time (which for me means not billing for blogging, easy to do), it's irrelevant to a large degree. I found that to be a compelling argument.

And so "a pretty long email from a stranger who is not in the habit of emailing strangers but don't know why she did this time" is thus returned by "a pretty long e-mail from a stranger who is not in the habit of e-mailing strangers but enjoys it when he does."

Cheers!

-- Alan