Thursday, May 26, 2005

And So It Begins...

Today was my first session of the NY BarBri Review Course. The course is a total of 32 sessions (1 a day, every weekday), 9 books, theoretically 55-91 hours of studying per week, and a summer of not-fun.

This morning we had a 30 min. introductory video followed by a 3.5 hour video on Criminal Law. I didn't mind today, notwithstanding my running nose and intermittent coughing. The material was moderately interesting and I learned a good deal. I also learned that, as with the 1st year BarBri Review Courses (for things like Civil Procedure, Torts, Contracts, etc.), I am physically unable to take notes, by hand, for more than 3-3.5 hours. My hand just starts hurting and my writing becomes nigh illegible. Tomorrow I'm going to bring my laptop and take notes on that instead.

So, after the morning session we're supposed to spend an additional 5-9 hours that day reviewing materials. Yeah. You read that right, 5-9 HOURS. I'm telling you right now - not gonna happen. 2-4 hours maybe. 5-9? Riiiiiight. I suspect it will vary by subject matter and my familiarity therewith. On weekends we're supposed to spend 10+ hours reviewing. That may happen. I'm going to try my best to keep up with all this studying and keep the tv and computer game off.

From what 'little' I've seen thus far, the BarBri Bar Review looks to be worth every penny! I find it difficult to imagine attempting to study for the Bar without the structure and mere condensing of material that is inherent in this review. There's simply too much to memorize it all. Having someone come along and say "This is what you need to know. This is what you must memorize." makes a world of difference. Even though my life is going to be Hellish for the next 2 months, I'm glad it's going to be like that. (Yes, I have a slight masochistic streak in me. I also have a sadistic one too!) Better to endure 2 months of Hell and pass than have to retake the Bar over and over. (The latter truly would be Hell.)

As for my cold, after an afternoon nap and some good OTC drugs (Tylenol Cold 4tw!), I'm feeling better than this morning. Here's hoping an early bedtime and more drugs get me feeling better!