Friday, August 11, 2006

The Week in (Brief) Review

This week was actually an interesting week for a variety of reasons.

The CT Democratic Primary was on Tuesday. Lamont won over Lieberman. I'm still waiting for Lieberman to get the message, that he's become completely out of touch with his constituency. He now plans on running as an Independent. I don't think he got the message.

British agents foiled a multiple-airplane bombing. Now US passengers can no longer bring liquids or anything non-necessary of any kind on planes. Oddly enough, despite the foiling and increased security, I don't feel any more secure. I think it has to do with Bush and the government's general attitude towards security. I really don't have much faith in the Dept. of Homeland Security.

I've done pretty well at work this week, if you can forgive the screw-ups on the way.. and there were a few. I'm still figuring things out here. I hope I last long enough here that I can use my learnings to benefit. No, I will not explain that statement here, at least not yet.

I'm playing less World of Warcraft. I haven't had a falling out with my guild leadership so much as.. well.. we had a disagreement, though they bear me no ill will. It's resulted in me signing up for, and getting slotted for, fewer raids. Kind of nice, actually. I get more sleep. I watch more TV. I relax a bit more. I'm very tempted to just quit WoW outright, only I think I do enjoy it and want to continue with it. I don't know.

I just saw this on CNN's site. Lieberman scaremongering:
I'm worried that too many people, both in politics and out, don't appreciate the seriousness of the threat to American security and the evil of the enemy that faces us -- more evil or as evil as Nazism and probably more dangerous than the Soviet communists we fought during the long Cold War.

If we just pick up like Ned Lamont wants us to do, get out by a date certain, it will be taken as a tremendous victory by the same people who wanted to blow up these planes in this plot hatched in England. It will strengthen them and they will strike again.
That whole "strengthening" argument has been used too many times in too many contexts. Plus it doesn't generally feel as though we're accomplishing much in Iraq these days. Why else do the majority of Americans want to see a withdrawal? It's not worth the price we're paying, in people and in resources. I sincerely hope Lieberman doesn't win his seat back this Fall.

But enough politics. I'm not a politico and you're not here to read about it.

Mmmmmm... hazelnut coffee...