Friday, April 06, 2007

Restlessness

Today, I feel increasingly restless. I don't want to sit in my chair, pouring over a patent application. I want to be... somewhere else doing something else.

Furthermore, I want to be somewhere and do something this weekend, at least on Saturday. No real reason other than an unquantifiable drive. I had thought that movie.girl and I might meet up on Saturday (as the day holds some significance for her) but I am told, via an e-mail, that this will not occur.

Which leads to further restlessness since, if I cannot rendezvous with movie.girl, perhaps there is another friend I might be able to call up and meet up with instead? But... there isn't. I'm either (a) not that close with some of my friends (i.e., close enough to call them up on a whim and meet up for something in the extremely near future), or (b) any such close friends are of a distance away (i.e., greater than 1-2 hours and/or costing more than $20 in transportation) that such an impromptu rendezvous is impractical.

In other words, I don't have any good friends who live close by. Movie.girl is about as close as it gets for impromptu and that's 45-60 min. from here. The Lawless one is more like 2-2.5 hours. I s'pose I could try LT et al. but I've only met up with them once since law school and I've always generally considered them to have active (i.e., filled) weekends, whether true in fact or not.

Clearly, I'm also feeling verbose.

I know I should: (a) pick someplace to go and go there, all else be damned; or (b) pick something to go see, all else be damned. I'd prefer not to spend too much money as that will be an issue this year, what with the 3 weddings to attend and two trips to Michigan. Similarly, I'd prefer not to go shopping (e.g., book shopping... again). If I don't go anywhere or do anything, I'll likely end up engrossed in a computer game or movie or such in order to preoccupy myself. I'd rather that not become the entirety of my weekend.

So, what to do? What to do...

ADDENDUM: Under the above view, my habits regarding movies, books, computer games and action figures could be seen as attempts to preoccupy myself at least partially due to a lack of personal interaction with friends. Granted, sometimes this is entirely reasonable and just, for example, on weeknights when there really isn't much time to go gallivanting around. However, sometimes these habits simply serve as escapes from an otherwise inactive reality. Today, and this weekend, feel exactly like that. [3:17 PM]

ADDENDUM II: Okay, I'm feeling a little bit better and a helluva lot less emo. I blame a temporary chemical imbalance induced by Passover and too much work. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) Still not sure what I'm going to do this weekend (run away and join a monastery, perhaps?), but at least it feels a little less urgent. [5:51 PM]