Thursday, October 06, 2005

Continuing

I was back, briefly, to regroup, gather supplies and head back up to my grandparents and aunt.

Opa fell Sat. morning. Had surgery Sun. morning. Surgery went fine. He was in & out the rest of Sunday. No real complications to speak of. Sun. night they gave him some morphine for the "pain." Mon. he was out of it and loopy. I think they gave him *more* morphine late Monday night. Baaaaad. He was out of it (incoherent) and loopy all Tuesday. Bad times. He was also running a slight fever (100-101). At first they wanted to give him a narcotic (pill) since it had tylenol in it. (...) Thankfully he wouldn't swallow the pill so they were working on a tylenol (non-narcotic) suppository. That took +6-7 hours to come through. Once he had that the fever went down.

Wed. morning he was *MUCH* better. Did some physical therapy (PT), walked 7-8 feet, knew who we were, ate all of his breakfast. Complete turn around. My mom and I came back home, I'm doing a turn around and going back up today (Thursday). We heard from my aunt that things fell apart (AGAIN). They hadn't been monitoring his temperature so he was running a fever (AGAIN) and needed more tylenol. Wed. afternoon's PT didn't really happen, that is he couldn't get up and walk again thanks to the effin fever and the useless nurses. So although Wed. morning was a nice step forward, Wed. afternoon was a big step back. ...

When I get up there I'll see how he's doing today.

You probably won't get any new posts from me for a while. Unless the hotel I'm at this weekend has an interent connection, probably not until next Wed. or Thurs.

This hospital he's at is horrible. HORRIBLE. We're on the phone with a cousin of mine who's a prominent surgeon in NYC. He's telling us what to look for and do. The nurses ain't doin' jack. I am strongly inclined to start asking the sorts of questions and obtain the sort of information that a lawyer likes to get. It's patently ridiculous.

I'd write more but no time. Need to keep moving.

Wedding this Sunday for 2 law school friends. Congratulations in advance to them!!! Best wishes for a wonderful future!

I'm out. More posts when time and access allow.