Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Right of Privacy Seminar

This class rocks. Our prof. (Attorney Daniel Klau) is an adjunct prof. with extensive practical experience in the field. We've spent the first hour of class talking about privacy in general, aspects thereof, expectations, what constitutes privacy, etc. The prof. is extremely knowledgeable and very capable of leading discussions. A nice, refreshing change from some other classes I've taken.

Here's a brief summary of the Syllabus:
  • Common Law Right to Privacy: Private Facts and Intrusion

  • Constitutional Privacy: Informational Privacy (4th Amendment, Beyond the 4th Amendment), Decisional Privacy

  • Statutory Privacy: How Can Governments Best Assure Privacy, ECPA - Statutory Protection for Conversational Privacy, Privacy and the Internet, Privacy and Health Information

  • Privacy in the Employment Context (if time permits)

  • Philisophical Perspectives on Privacy Law
The coverage looks to be pretty broad and comprehensive. Although I probably should have expected as much when I signed up for the class, I didn't. Honestly, I didn't know quite what to expect but I was hoping for some emphasis on technological aspects of privacy. That looks to be a very minor component of the course, though now that I've met the prof. and sat through a portion of the class I'm not in the least bit upset or annoyed about my misconception. This one is probably in the running for "my best class of the semester."