Thursday, July 05, 2007

And Onwards

This morning I received a reply e-mail from The Lawyer in which she responds: "Being friends would be lovely." And so are accords reached by necessity and agreement. (Necessity being the mother of invention, or so I am assured.) With words and electronic signatures, we are (officially) friends.

Incidentally, one current friendship arose in a substantially similar fashion – that with movie.girl. We first met shortly after the untimely demise of her first engagement. Subsequent to said meeting, we became good friends (and still are). I believe there was a clarifying e-mail involved. I could look it up and confirm such an electronic missive but why pour lemon juice in wounds that are already salty?

It may come to pass that The Lawyer and I meet up for a movie this weekend. Such happenings are not outside the realm of possibility. In true irony, yesterday my average stood at one movie per day for July. The Lawyer had best be sated with Ocean's 13 for there remain few other movies yet unspoken for or unwatched.

Work will consume me imminently. I am currently operating in the neighborhood of 125-150% capacity. This is generally ill-advised, especially when there are ugly things with deadlines looming large. I have hope, nay, I have faith that I will not be destroyed by the incipient conflagration. Unfortunately, there is no light at the end of the tunnel just yet – it remains obscured by files demanding my attention. I think I hear my bookcase groaning under the strain. All of which, of course, begs the question as to why I would compose this post in the mid-afternoon.

I feign dementia. Or disease. Or dis-ease. Or dyslexia. 'Tis all the same in the cavern that passes for my addled head. Or maybe I just like to feign. Of course the sad part to these wild ravings is that they make sense to me. I could probably express them in a non-kafka-esque manner (legitimate triple-hyphenation!), but what would the fun be in such pedantic musings?

A stray thought – the Titanic had a band, I have my iPod. Somehow this seems fair.

More random pondering – I have been accused, in the past, of being too serious, of not laughing. It was movie.girl who levied said accusations a few months ago, if memory serves. Occasionally the accusations have come to mind – am I so bereft of mirth? I think not. Rather, I laugh all the time. I simply do so on my own, either in the absence of friends or in my own mind with little more to show than a wry smile that I fancy rivals Harrison Ford's. (Maybe rivals is a bit strong.)

My head rarely ceases and, since this post is being drafted in a Word document, you are privy to my unbridled half-hazard madness (for varying definitions of the word "unbridled").

"There is nothing wrong with your television. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are now controlling the transmission. We control the horizontal and the vertical. We can deluge you with a thousand channels or expand one single image to crystal clarity - and beyond. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. For the next hour we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the deepest inner mind to... The Outer Limits. Please stand by." — Opening narration – The Control Voice – 1990s

I seem to be saying "Thank you much" of late. I need to vary my chosen thank you phrase.

DIXI.