Friday, February 25, 2005

I'm still alive. Are you?

Apologies for the exceedingly "lite" blogging of late. I could offer a hollow explanation (*cough*WoW*cough*) or an empty promise (trips to the gym whuh?) but I'd rather not. I also wouldn't apologize except this blog has been far too empty for far too long. I'll endeavor to not allow this trend to continue. Nice, vague, lawyerly language that does nothing but express the mere intention of trying to do something with no actual promise to do so and without creating the actual expectation that said action will be undertaken. Sheesh.

However, I do have a few linkage tidbits for you right now.

CNN: Road kill candy angers animal rights activists. Ever think things might be getting a little too politically correct? And anyone know where I can get some of these gummies? *Squashed snake* -- mmm!

Slashdot: Fan Group Create Full-Length Discworld Movie. As a HUGE Terry Pratchett fan, I most definitely will take a look at this one.

Along that sci fi vein, don't forget that the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie comes out in May. (Initial reviews from test screening here.) I saw the new (substantive) trailer right before Constantine (review forthcoming) and was just about jumping up and down in my seat from excitement. I for one will be there opening day. This is one movie that I have been waiting a *very* long time to see and I eagerly await its release.

Another sci fi film to watch for is Joss Whedon's Serenity, based on the not-quite-hit-yet-short-lived tv series Firefly. Looks like this one will be out in September. For those unaware, Joss Whedon was the writer for Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the tv series, NOT the movie) and has gone on to do other interesting projects such as writing for the X-Men for Marvel Comics revamp of the line. Good stuff.

Another sci fi movie in the works is A Scanner Darkly based on a Philip K. Dick novel. (See Boing Boing post here.) Other previous screen adaptations of Dick's works include Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report and Paycheck.

Courtesy of Boing Boing we have the latest 'Elvis Trooper' siting. Mildly amusing to the sci fi, pop-culture-laden geeks of us.

Boing Boing: Beatallica.org shut down, more Sony nastygrams fly. Sounds like some legal copyright discussion goodness. Reminds me of Danger Mouse's Gray Album incident.

Boing Boing: WIPO pulls out dirty tricks to kill participation from consumer groups . I'd like more information before drawing that conclusion myself but it sure doesn't sound good from the picture painted.

Super Mario Lives!!! (Boing Boing)

As do the theme songs from some old cartoons. (Boing Boing post here.)

As does Infocom's old computer game version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, courtesy of the BBC. (Boing Boing post.)

And a note on the LeCool guide to Barcelona should round out the linkage. (Boing Boing post.)

Enjoy the linkage (if you dare)! I'll work on more posting (but no promises, see way above). Enjoy the Friday & Cheers!